Large businesses are paying far too much for their eyecare commitments while smaller companies are not meeting their obligations correctly, new research finds.
The survey from Specsavers revealed that those firms employing between 1,001 and 5,000 people may be paying £100 more than necessary per eye exam for their screen users.
While 40% of these businesses use eyecare vouchers the remaining 60% still reimburse through expenses.
With huge variations in opticians' fees this typically costs the employer between £33 and £83 more than a voucher scheme and can even exceed it by over £100.
Of the companies surveyed employing less than 10 people, nearly two-thirds (65%) have no eyecare policy or no formal system in place at all.
Furthermore, the remaining 35% still reimburse employees for eyecare through expenses with not one company using a voucher scheme.
Perhaps surprisingly, cost was placed as being of the ‘utmost importance' by just 9% of companies with less than 100 employees.
However, for organisations with over 5,000 employees, almost a quarter 22% felt cost was of the utmost importance.
Specsavers Corporate Eyecare corporate account manager Laura Butler, said: "Eyecare is a complex issue in the workplace as it is both a valued employee benefit and a necessary health and safety requirement.
"Companies of all sizes should carefully research the most appropriate method of provision for them."
Specsavers added that the lack of any eyecare policy or formal system in place for the majority of small companies was worrying and it has produced a free DSE Eyecare tool giving comprehensive guidance on regulations for screen-users.
More information can also be found on the Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) regulations.
Sign up to the free weekly newsletter from the editorial team at Workplace Savings & Benefits.Newsletter sign up
Check out who's made the 2015 shortlist and book your table today. For more information follow this story to the event homepage.
The programme for this year’s Professional Pensions Defined Contribution Conference – to be held in both London and Birmingham in September – has been announced.
Benefex have created a guide to communicating your reward and benefit scheme. This guide will help you build a rock-solid business case for investing in communications, help you review what you currently have in place and present new and innovative channels.
This guide will help you identify historic elements of schemes that are no longer relevant, different ways to adjust the level of premiums you pay and also get an understanding of whether your current benefits package is appropriate and delivering value for money.